To Saturday, April 18, 2020
April 17, 2020 - the Historic Brass Society will host a Symposium, Pond Life: British-American Crosscurrents over the Atlantic in New York City, in connection with a NYC residency by John Wallace and the Wallace Collection ensemble. The day will feature presentations on a range of topics, a round table discussion on brass chamber music featuring past and present members of the New York Brass Quintet, American Brass Quintet, Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, and Gabrieli Brass, and a Come-and-Play workshop and informal performance of 19C brass music with the Wallace Collection.
The Symposium will include presentations relating to:
- Instrument design and development, and their impact on performance practices in the 19thC;
- Repertoire, including composers and performers, for these new instruments;
- Pedagogical methods and approaches for brass (similarities and differences);
- British-American exchanges in the development of early jazz;
- Brass ensemble and chamber music through the mid-1970s;
Other featured sessions will include:
- Roundtable Discussion with current and former members of the American Brass Quintet, New York Brass Quintet, Philip Jones Brass Ensemble and Gabrieli Brass;
- Come-and-Play workshop session with The Wallace Collection on 19C chamber music and selections from the Cyfarthfa Band.
Proposals, due by 5 pm EST February 15, 2020 (date stamped), are invited for presentations of twenty-minute length plus ten minutes discussion. We also welcome shorter presentations (please indicate timing), musical performances, instrument demonstrations, and presentations in other formats suitable for an informal lecture space.
All proposals must include an abstract of not more than 300 words, a 75-word biography of each presenter, a list of A/V aids required, and e-mail information for a response, which will be forthcoming by March 2, 2020.
Please send proposals as e-mail attachments (pdf preferred) to Sandy Coffin at [email protected]
Presenters will be required to register for the Symposium. Details will be sent upon receipt of proposals.
Additional Symposium information available at www.historicbrass.org